The town of Clinton's Tax Office has instituted a new service whereby those owing a tax bill can now pay their bills online using a credit card or debit card. There are fees associated with the service.
Taxpayers can also call 1-888-332-0285 to make a payment by credit, debit or by e-check (ACH or electronic debiting of an account). There are charges, here, too.
You can still pay your bill by check through the mail, or come to the at and pay by cash or check.
You cannot pay by credit card or debit card at the tax office at town hall.
Charges: There is a 2.95% charge for an online credit card or debit card payment, a charge of $1.95 for an e-check (ACH electronic form of debiting an account) and a $1.95 charge if you make the phone call. You don't need to make the phone call if you pay online.
For example, if you wish to pay your tax bill online by credit card, there is a charge of 2.95% which means you are charged a fee of 2.95 percent of your bill. So if your real estate bill is $3,500 and you pay by credit card, you will be charged $103.25.
The fees may seem hefty, but if you use a credit card that awards you airline miles, other points or cash back, the charge may be worth it.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone everyday with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
Here are the instructions for paying your tax bills online:
- Go to www.clintonct.org
- On the front page there is a gray button "View or Pay Tax Bills" click on that or under "Departments" click on "Tax Collector."
- You are prompted to select what bill you would like to pay: real estate tax, personal property taxes, motor vehicle tax, and/or prior year grand list bills.
- For real estate, you may enter the bill list number (a 13-digit number located on the top left side of your bill), or the property owner's last name, or the property address to pull up your bill. Enter information on just one of those fields. If you enter just the street name (no street number), you will get an alphabetical listing of property owners on that street. You can then "view" your bill. To pay it, click the box in front of the bill you want to pay and "add to cart." You don't have to register on the site, just click "One Time Pay," enter your credit card information and you are done.
- For personal property, the process is similar to real estate. You may put in the bill list number, or the business name, or the property address. If you put in the street name, no street number, you will get an alphabetical listing of the businesses for that street. Find yours, click the box and "add to shopping cart" to pay.
- For motor vehicles, the process is slightly different. There are two form fields and you need to enter partial information in both boxes to pull up your bill. Enter the grand list tax year "2011" in the first box and the last name or the name of the business in the second box. For example, enter "2011" and "Brown" if your last name is Browning. Scroll down to view your bill(s).
- For prior year grand list bills, the process is entirely different. See the town website for more details on how to pay taxes prior to the 2010 grand list.