If you haven't already heard, the Special Town Meeting that the has been cancelled.
It was scheduled for June 26 at 7pm at the .
The meeting was cancelled by First Selectman Willie Fritz during a Special Board of Selectmen meeting held June 20 which followed a first-ever
The reason, said Fritz, was because in order to petition for a special town meeting, the Board of Selectmen needs to recommend (and the finance board approve) one of five requirements to call such a meeting as stated in the town charter. None of the criteria was met, thus the special town meeting was cancelled and the CTA petition was invalid, said Fritz.
From the Clinton Town Charter:
Section 4-5 Special Town Meeting Actions
A. Special Town Meetings shall be required for approval after recommendation by the Board of Selectmen and the approval of the Board of Finance for:
- Any resolution making an appropriation of an amount more than fifteen thousand $15,000;
- Any resolution authorizing the issuance of bonds or notes;
- The purchase of real estate;
- The sale of any real estate;
- Any real estate lease and/or lease with option which involves a term in excess of three (3) years;
B. Special Town Meetings may be called by the Board of Selectmen for:
- The rejection of any collective bargaining agreements negotiated by the Board of Education as provided in Chapter 166 of the General Statutes, as amended.
- Proposals for Town improvements disapproved by the Planning and Zoning Commission pursuant to the provisions of Section 8-24 of the General Statutes, as amended.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone everyday with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
There will be a Special Town Meeting on a different matter Wednesday, June 27 at 6:30pm at . Immediately following the meeting there will be a regular meeting of the Board of Selectmen at 7pm.
Notice for the June 27 Special Town Meeting:
The electors of the Town of Clinton and all other citizens qualified to vote in town meetings of the said Town of Clinton are hereby notified and warned that a Special Town Meeting will be held at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, June 27, 2012 at the Andrews Memorial Town Hall, 54 East Main Street, Clinton, Connecticut to hear and consider the following:
RESOLVED: to approve the line item transfer from General Government by increasing Legal- Other by $47,528 and decreasing Union Negotiator by $25,261 and Insurance by $22,267
RESOLVED: to approve the land lease agreement and future conveyance between the Town of Clinton and Shoreline Ice for approximately nine (9) acres of land on a parcel of property located at Old Nod Road.