The National Weather Service said the snow flurries likely will continue Tuesday evening until at least 9 p.m.
Clinton First Selectman Willie Fritz said crews had been salting and sanding earlier in the day but that, as the storm picked up in the evening, refocused on trying to keep the roads plowed of the falling snow.
Conditions also were deteriorating in other parts of the state and on the state's highways. Around 5 p.m., WFSB.com was reporting that all southbound lanes on I-95 in Groton between exits 89 and 88 were closed after a two-car crash. In Avon, Route 44 was closed at Avon Mountain around 4:15 p.m. due to poor driving conditions.
Tuesday evening, Metro North reported that westbound New Haven Line Customers were experiencing scattered delays of approximately 15 minutes due to weather-related equipment issues.
"Everybody's out working on the roads," Fritz said Tuesday evening. "The streets are beginning to get snow covered, but they are doing their best to keep up."
Fritz said some questioned the town's decision to not release students early, but he said it appears as though there were no traffic incidents involving school buses despite the snow Tuesday afternoon.
"The snow at this point is a little more than anyone anticipated, but all the kids got home safe," he said.
He said the public works crews will start sanding and salting again as soon as they make more progress removing the snow.
"You just gotta go slow if you have to go out," he said. "The roads are passable, but if you don't have to be out, you shouldn't be out."
Fritz said the town hall Christmas party Tuesday night was postponed due to the weather. "I didn't get to wear my ugly Christmas sweater," he said, adding that the party will be rescheduled for a later date.
Here is the National Weather forecast for the rest of the week:
- Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 36. Northwest wind 9 to 13 mph.
- Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 23. West wind around 7 mph.
- Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 42. Southwest wind 9 to 13 mph.
- Thursday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33.
- Friday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 50.
- Friday Night: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 40. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Saturday: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 50. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
- Saturday Night: A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a low around 45. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
- Sunday: A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 56. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
- Sunday Night: A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a low around 41. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
- Monday: A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 44. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
- Monday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 26.
- Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 34.