When the giant windows along Main Street in Clinton become filled with colorful images of ghosts, goblins, witches, black cats and more, you know the annual Halloween Window Painting event just took place.
Now is the time to register your child (or children) for this year.
The event will be held on Saturday, October 20, from 9am – 2pm, with a rain date of Sunday, October 21. It is open to kids in grades 4-8.
Last year’s participation had more than 50 children painting local merchant’s windows in themes such as Harry Potter, Haunted Houses, and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.
There will be light refreshments served.
The event is sponsored by Clinton Park & Recreation, Clinton Youth and Family Services Bureau, Clinton Police Department and Shoreline Community Women, and is also made possible by the United Way.
Registration forms are being sent home to students of Abraham Pierson and Jared Eliot Schools the week of October 2.
The registration fee is $2 per child, with a maximum fee of $5 per family. The registration deadline is Friday, October 12. For additional information or questions, parents may contact the Clinton Park & Recreation office at 860-669-6901.
The registration form is attached to this article.
A few things to remember:
- Window paint will be supplied.
- This event is only open to children in grades 4-8.
- An individual or team consisting of no more than 3 students may paint a window.
- A sketch of what you or your team intend to paint on your window must be submitted at the check-in table on the day of window painting. Window supplies and your window assignment will not be provided unless a sketch is submitted.
- You may only paint the window you or your team has been assigned. Please leave a two inch border around your window. This can be done by using painters tape prior to painting.
- Only the window paint markers that are supplied may be used to decorate your window. Marker colors are: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, brown, black, white and pink.
- Your window must be painted between the hours of 9am and 2pm on the date of the event.
- Participant names should not be painted on the window. Adults may not touch or help paint the windows.
- One adult must supervise each window/team at all times.
- 1st Place and specialty ribbons will be awarded to each grade (4-8).
- A team made up of children in multiple grades will be judged based on the member who is in the highest grade. You may elect to not have your window judged at the time of check-in.
- Windows will be judged based on the following three criteria: originality, creativity and artistic effort.
- Judging will take place promptly at 2pm on the date of the event. Winners will be notified by October 22nd via phone or e-mail. The results will also be posted on the Clinton Parks & Recreation and CYFSB websites.
- Your window must be cleaned between November 2 and 4. Please bring Windex, water, sponges, paper towels and garbage bags to clean your window. Adult supervision is required on the day you clean your window.
- Your window decorating supplies can be picked up beginning at 9am at the check-in table at Post Office Square, which is located at the corner of Commerce and Main Street. All supplies must be returned to the check-in table when you are done.
- Please bring your own paper towels, a gallon of water and a garbage bag. These items come in handy if you need to make changes to your window art or need to clean any paint that may fall on the ground. It is also suggested that you wear “old” clothes when painting and bring a step stool, if needed.