The between New Haven and North Haven is scheduled to kick off June 9. And lane closures in both directions are expected to continue until later this fall.
The state Department of Transportation reports the majority of the work along the busy interstate will be conducted at night, with most lane closures between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. Sunday through Thursday.
The project consists of milling, pavement repairs and resurfacing from Exit 8 to Exit 9 on both sides of the I-91 highway.
In addition, minor electrical work will occur at the entrance/exit ramps to replace signal controls.
Last month, the $1.38 million resurfacing project was awarded to the . The repaving is scheduled to be completed Sept. 21.
Route 1 Closure
The state highway will be closed to traffic in both directions from 9 p.m. on Saturday, July 14, to noon on Sunday, July 15.
During this time, there will be no access to north or south along Route 1 between the I-95 on/off ramps at Exit 53 (Branford Connector) and Route 142 (Short Beach Road).
The work is part of that extends from Orchard Hill Road to the I-95 on and off ramps in Branford. It began in August 2009 and is expected to continue through to November 2014.
Route 1 Detours
Route 1 detours during July 14-15 include:
- U.S. Route 1 southbound traffic will be detoured onto Branford Connector to I-95 south, Exit 52 (Route 100, High Street/Main Street) and back onto U.S. Route 1 (West Main Street).
- U.S. Route 1 northbound traffic traveling between Route 100 in East Haven and Route 142 (Short Beach Road) in Branford will need to reroute onto southbound Route 1 to Route 100 to I-95 northbound to Exit 53 Branford Connector to U.S. Route 1 north
Route 1 Closures
Route 1 closures during July 14-15 include:
- Friday, July 13, 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.: Alternating One Way Traffic
- Saturday, July 14, 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.: One Lane in Each Direction
- Saturday, July 14, 9 p.m. to 12 p.m. Sunday, July 15: Traffic Closure of U.S. Route 1
For more information on the Route 1 project, call the infoline number at 203-315-0966 for current project information including the hours of work.