Connecticut Water Company, headquartered in Clinton, has established a number of local self-service water filling stations.
They have or will have shortly tankers on site for the public to access for free potable water:
- North Madison Fire Department - Route 79 and 80 traffic circle
- North Guilford Fire Department - Route 77 north of Route 80
- Killingworth Circle (intersection of Route 80 and 81)
- Marlborough Elementary School, School Drive, Marlborough
Also they have hydrant fill stations available at:
- CT Water Co. Clinton Office, 93 West Main Street, Clinton
- South Guilford Fire Department, 390 Church Street
- Essex Fire Department, Saybrook Road, Essex
- Old Saybrook High School, Route 1 Old Saybrook
- Chester Meetinghouse, center of town by green
- RHAM (regional high school for Hebron, Andover, Marlborough) – 85 Wall Street, Hebron
The filling stations are self-service. People need to bring their own containers. They encourage folks to use only clean, safe containers for water that will be used for drinking, food preparation, brushing teeth, etc. Any container is fine if the water is to be used for filling toilets or other purposes where it will not be consumed.
Connecticut Water is in the process of setting up water filling stations for families that don't have water service. They plan to have the water filling stations available until power is restored in these communities.
A note from CT Water Company:
CWC recognizes how essential water is to life. During Sandy and the power outages in its aftermath we have been able to maintain water service to more than 99 percent of our customers. However, we know that many people who have private wells have not had water for drinking, sanitation, bathing, etc. since the power went out.
The company and its employees are committed to serving the community and helping private well owners who don’t have access to clean, safe water. Connecticut Water has established a number of filling stations. For more information call 1-800-286-5700.