The original Morgan School building stood proudly on Clinton's Main Street, its front door just steps away from the statues of Charles Morgan and Abraham Pierson. The statues remain today in their original location near the Abraham Pierson School. Charles Morgan wanted to do something for the town he cared for so deeply and after much consideration decided to have a school built hoping to furnish every child of Clinton the opportunity of acquiring an education that would prepare them for further education, to be successful in life and to help make them useful and intelligent citizens.
Charles Morgan was a Clinton native, who made his fortune with a steamship business, railroads and Morgan Iron Works, and was considered one of the eminent millionaires of New York City during his lifetime. In 1869 and 1870 he purchased land on Main Street in Clinton as the site for his school, paid for the construction of the building and established an endowment to help with the care of the buildings and the support of the school.
The Morgan School was officially dedicated on December 7, 1871 and opened for students April 8, 1872. It very rapidly became known internationally for its excellence. This superb education and the privileges and advantages of The Morgan School was provided to Clinton students as well as to residents of neighboring towns and beyond.
Students from Clinton were not required to pay tuition, others were charged $4.00 per term for the lower grades and $8.00 per term for the high school level. Board could be obtained from good families in town for $4.00 to $6.00 per week.
In 1872-1873 there were a total of 216 students who were not only from Clinton but from Madison, Westbrook, Middletown, Saybrook, Deep River, East River, Brooklyn NY, South Glastonbury, and Richland, Michigan. This information was provided by the 1872-1873 Morgan School Catalogue which lists the names of the students in each class, the course of studies, terms of admission, the details of the examinations given and monthly reports given, rules of discipline, and expenses were also included. Text books, stationary, etc. were furnished at cost and extra charges were incurred for Instrumental Music and Elocution. Copies of the transcript from the school dedication and the school catalogues beginning with 1872 can be found at the George Flynn Library of the Clinton Historical Society.
News from the Morgan Alumni Association: The association continues to look for
representatives from each class to help in locating and contacting alumni about the upcoming triennial reunion to be held July 8th, and is also looking for class lists of the classes of 1976, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1997, 2002 and 2011 in order to complete the recording of all graduates.
For further information or to volunteer to help, please contact April Shuman at email@example.com.